Find Local Services
Merton MencapWilson Hospital
Andy Whittington - Chief Executive
020 8646 0965
How To Contact
See Notes for more info
London Borough of Merton
Type of Organisation
Activities for people with a learning disability -
(1) Easter, Summer and Christmas Schemes - (a) The Buddy Scheme runs in the Easter, Summer and Christmas holidays, enabling young people to enjoy outings in the community; (b) The Summer Play Scheme for children with autistic spectrum disorder and with a learning disability, offers fun activities, both on site and in the community, with a staff ratio of 2 to 1.
(2) Weekly - (a) The 'TC' Club for young people aged 14-25 in transition, offering gym, sports and leisure opportunities at the YMCA in Wimbledon on Saturday afternoon; (b) The Saturday Drop-in Club for adults, includes a healthy lunch which members help to prepare; also a variety of activities, outings and visits and a computer club; (c) The Gateway Club Thursday evenings for adults, offers social and recreational opportunities, including arts and crafts, dancing, music and sports; (d) the Health & Fitness Club Wednesday evenings, a 2 hour fitness club with use of the gym based at the Canons, Mitcham; (e) Mencap Cafe, a cafe on Mondays from 10.30am - 2.30pm based at Holy Trinity Church, Wimbledon Broadway; (f) Give Arts A Go - an art club for adults in conjunction with the National Portrait Gallery on Wednesday afternoons;
(3) Support Groups (a) Kids first, Merton's Parents Forum for Parents of Children with disabilities and special needs, empowering parents and giving them a voice; (b) The Parent/Carer Support Group, supporting older carers, with monthly meetings and outings.
(4) Individual Support - Carers Community Advisors, carrying out home visits offering support and advice on carers' rights and all issues relating to caring for an adult with a learning disability.
(5) Campaigning and joint working - to raise public awareness of the rights and needs of people with a learning disability and their families. Are actively involved in joint working with social services, children's services, health and the local education authority and with other voluntary organisations with the aim of improving provision of services for people with a learning disability and their families.
Main Client Groups Worked With
Children and adults with learning disabilities and their families and carers.
Office Opening Hours
Monday- Friday from 9 am to 5.00pm
How To Contact
Telephone, referral or contact for a visit to discuss your needs. Adult projects coordinator 020 8687 4825 and email@example.com; Kids first 020 8687 4644; Carers community advisers 020 8687 4657 and office manager 020 8687 4651.
Available Access for People With Disabilities
Parking for disabled drivers. Accessible office building.
Public Transport Links - How to get to there
Tram Link - Mitcham. Buses 200, 118 and 127
Languages other than English spoken by staff or volunteers
Interpreters can be arranged if notified in advance.